Ocean Theme - Tissue Paper & Foil Rainbow Fish Craft

I have always loved the book Rainbow Fish (though I know some people don't) - not only is it sparkly, with a beautiful fish for a main character - even though he is rather conceited in the beginning. I have always found that if told the right way it can help teach children about the importance of sharing, thinking about others and being a good friend. It really is all in the telling and what you decide to focus on.

I know there has been much debate on the fact that some think it actually has a poor message about buying one's friends, etc but personally, I am always suprised at how people either love or hate this book. I look at it from the view point of the child and frankly they always seem to find it mesmerizing and quite engaging. As a parent and an educator - every time I have read this book to children it has generated wonderful discussion on being selfish, not being a good friend, etc. The Lil Divas and I had a wonderful talk about being mean, not caring about others feelings and not being a good friend/sister. It was fabulous.

The Book:



The Craft:


What You Need:
white cardstock
tissue paper (various colors)
aluminum foil
glue
scissors
wiggly eye
black marker

What We Did:

1. I drew a fish template and cut one out for each Lil Diva using cardstock (it is thicker & more durable)


2. I also cut out tissue paper pieces for the tail, face and fins (I simply traced over the template) and the Lil Divas glued them on in the appropriate places.


3. I pre-cut various colored tissue paper scales and the Lil Divas glued them on - varying the colors throughout and adding a few foil scales here and there.

I encouraged overlapping so that the fish was completely covered in tissue paper scales.

4. We added a few foil strips here and there for a more glittery/sparkly effect. The Lil Divas opted to make  Rainbow Fish before he gave his scales away. You can also only use 1 foil scale to make the other version.

5. Add a wiggly eye (or draw one) and draw a mouth/smile using black marker and voila - you have a stunning Rainbow Fish!


They turned out so cute & they were really easy to make! :)

What is your take on the book Rainbow Fish? I am always curious to hear what other's think about this book!

Bern