Love, Loss, Grief and Hope

Yesterday we received news that my 29 yr. old cousin had passed away in her sleep. To say that we are all devastated is an understatement. My aunt was actually there with her and I honestly can not imagine the feeling of trying to wake up one of my girls only to find that they were gone.

I kept looking at the Lil Divas today - and my heart was so heavy and full of sorrow. I can not imagine not having them in my life. I can not imagine a world where their laughter, love and energy was no longer.

My girls drove me crazy today - I was obviously a bit scattered and would not be winning Mommy of the Year Awards today - but I was feeling stressed and upset over their behavior. Then I stopped and really thought about it - I was lucky.  At the end of the day I was so grateful for each and every second we shared - even the bad ones. My aunt won't have any more moments with her daughter - good or bad. That thought puts everything into perspective.

I want to share a poem I found online that made me feel not just a bit less sad but also more hopeful:


When tomorrow starts without me,
And I'm not there to see,
If the sun should rise and find your eyes
All filled with tears for me:

I wish you wouldn't cry
The way you did today,
While thinking of the many things,
We didn't get to say

I know how much you love me,
As much as I love you,
And each time that you think of me,
I know you'll miss me too:

But when tomorrow starts without me,
Please try to understand,
That an angel came and called my name,
And took me by the hand.

And said my place was ready,
In heaven far above,
And that I'd have to leave behind
All those I dearly love.

But when I walked through heaven's gates,
I felt so much at home.
When God looked down and smiled at me,
From His great golden throne,

He said, "This is eternity.
And all I've promised you.
Today your life on earth is past,
But here life starts anew."

"I promise no tomorrow,
But today will always last,
And since each day's the same way
There's no longing for the past."

So when tomorrow starts without me,
Don't think we're far apart,
For every time you think of me,
I'm right here, in your heart.

Author Unknown

None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow - so today I remind all of you to live to the fullest. Love with all your heart. Laugh like there is no sorrow. Take joy in all the small and simple things that we take for granted each and every day.

Bern