Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss! Celebrating with The Cat in the Hat

In honor of today being Dr. Seuss' birthday we celebrated by reading one of our fave Dr. Seuss books - The Cat in the Hat! No celebration is complete without treats & fun so of course we had some of those too!

Here's what we did today:

2 Books & A Short Movie:


Craft: The Cat's Hat

 

I used a great Cat in the Hat template from A to Z Teacher Stuff as my guide for our hats. I just made ours a little bit bigger/wider when I traced the template onto cardstock (so it was stiff).

Step 1: The girls painted the red stripes

Step 2: While we let the hat dry I fitted the headband piece (I used sentence strip paper) on each Lil Diva

Step 3: Once dry I stapled the hat onto the headband & the girls were able to wear their "Cat" hats!

Learning Fun: Rhyming Fun with _at Words

I used this great Hat _at Words template from A to Z Teacher Stuff for this activity!


First, We used our letter tiles to make words. Then the Lil Divas picked their 5 faves and wrote them onto the hat (see above picture)


This lil diva loves to accessorize!
Check out her bling! :)

Snack: Edible"Cat" Hat


We used:
Nilla Wafers
Marshmallows (I had big ones at home so I cut them in half)
Red Gummy Life Savers
Vanilla Frosting (just a dab to help hold it together)


How did you celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday? We LOVE new ideas!

Bern